From most common to least:
1. Word of power. This is a word or phrase which is used to symbolize the work of the spell.
2. Rune or sigil. This is a written or mental non-verbal symbol which also symbolizes the work of the spell. Most commonly used in magical constructs and engineering work in spirit.
3. Thrust or impulse. This is a burst of energy which is projected toward its target. The energy is "colored" with a particular intent.
4. Knot. This is a tangle or knot of energies, linked together so that pulling on one pulls on another. Often the knot itself alters the energy patterns passing through it, much as a heat exchanger or a materials filter would.
5. Circle. This is a pretty standard "magical circle" with directives written around it, or coloring the energies that pass through it.
6. Name. This is the name of a spirit or diety, used to empower a working using that being's energies. Typically used in prayer, often comes with conditions.
7. Radiance. This is an emanation of energies, rather like an electromagnetic field. It is often used in "charismatic" applications, where an item or person radiates an intent ("look at me" or "invisible/do not notice" are rather common uses).
8. Connection. The pattern is connecting one thing to another, often with a directional filter. This is the sort of magic that causes "node workings" to function, aka quantum node bundles.
9. Anchor. This is a "lump" of something or someone inserted as a weight or influence to direct someone toward it or weigh the pattern down (often to add drag or reduce force).
This entry was originally posted at http://zeeth-kyrah.dreamwidth.org/25202.h